The Animals: House of the Rising Sun
The Animals:
House of the Rising Sun
Hello Friends!
This post is all about The Animals(not the ones in the zoo!!) and how their song "House of the Rising Sun"stood out from the crowd and propelled them to fame. Hear how they stumbled and fell, but got right back up and overcame the odds against them.
Before their massive 1964 breakthrough with "House of the Rising Sun," The Animals originated in Newcastle, England, as the Alan Price Rhythm and Blues Combo. A seminal act of the British Invasion, their core style was heavily steeped in gritty, working-class American rhythm and blues.
Key Background Facts:
- Defying the odds: At a time when radio stations mostly played snappy 2-to-3-minute pop songs, the band's UK version was a staggering 4 minutes and 29 seconds long. Their record label initially refused to release it because of its length. [1]
- Band tension: The massive success of the song also created deep fractures in the band. Because it was a traditional folk song in the public domain, the "arranger" credit for the track went solely to keyboardist Alan Price. This meant he received all the composer royalties, which caused lasting resentment and contributed to the original lineup fracturing shortly after. [1, 2, 3, 4]
In my humble opinion...
I think they're great. They've always marched to the beat of their own drum. They also did another famous song, "We Gotta Get Out of This Place," which came out in the summer of 1965. I think this song got more airtime partly because of their previous hit "House of the Rising Sun," and partly because it was just a super catchy tune.
I'll leave you with that, and please feel free to email me your honest thoughts and opinions. If it's valid and not offensive, I might include it here, but I can't promise anything. Have a super week ahead!
Tina
My quote for you:
"While the Animals haven't endured today the way their counterparts have, the band still made history alongside them with songs like 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood'..." —Alli Patton






Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment. I will try and get back to you in a couple of days. If I do notcontact you by then, please be patient. Have a great day!